Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Intro to my Volt

First, let me say that I am not a "car person."  My knowledge of cars starts and ends with me knowing how to drive.  Please do not expect tech-talk from me.  You can expect some driving stats, electric charging and gas mileage stats and (hopefully) some funny stories about my learning adventures.

I picked up my Volt yesterday.  First, I noticed that the car is quiet!  You do not start the car with a key, you push a button.  As a pleasant surprise, the car makes a happy computer-turning-on sound that is silent outside of the car.  It is so quiet, that they had to create a warning chirp you can use to warn pedestrians, bikers and animals of your approach.  I am not going to lie, I like to think of myself as Wonder Woman in her invisible plane. 





The green ball on the right measures the driving efficiency.  When in the middle - as pictured - you are driving most efficient.  If you drive too fast or erratically the ball turns yellow and moves up.  Higher up the scale and redder the ball means you are not being a good electric car driver.  I want to look at this green ball all the time!  But I don't, because I am watching the road.  Of course.

The gauge on the left measures the battery power.  In this picture I have 16 miles left to drive with electric power.  Once those 16 miles are up the car automatically uses the gas (292 miles available). 

The air temperature, radio, and 1 million other things I haven't discovered is all touch screen.  There are corresponding "buttons" below the screen that are not really buttons.  They are another type of touch-screen button thing.  (I warned you, no tech talk).

Please note, photos were taken while in a parking lot.  I was not driving and taking pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment